It has been since I last bought yarn!

Friday, August 21, 2015

Jump Start on Christmas

Welp... I've finished one of the 2 pairs of mittens I wanted to make for Christmas this year!  Say hello to ELLY....

Untitled

Pattern: Elly Mittens by JennyPenny
Yarn: Grey: Filatura Di Crosa Zarina 1914, White: Knit Picks Stroll Glimmer "white", Red: Little Knits Sockulent #4 (This stuff is proving to be GREAT mitten yarn!)
Needles: US 1.5
Notes: I love the little "twinkle" that the glimmer adds to the mitten.  So cute.  The only thing I altered about this pattern was that I knit in a thumb gusset (and charted it out myself) so that there was a better feel to the thumb.  I have found I have never really been satisifed by the "after thought" thumb and decided, especially since it was a gift, that I wanted to have a nice, comfortable fit.  These are for one of Parker's preschool teachers for Christmas.

Untitled Untitled

Here's the chart for the gusset.  Red dots are "M1" (make 1 increases- I use left and right bar increases).  I started the gusset 8 rows after the last red row.

Untitled

The pattern is the same on the outside and inside of the hand- it makes it an easy knit but I must admit I sort of like the palm to have something different.  Oh well... c'est la vie.

With Elly done and the weather being a little less "warm" these days I actually managed to decide on a sweater pattern to knit AND even cast it on.  This has an I cord cast on, which is a total pain to cast on with, but DAMN if doesn't make a nice clean cast on.  It's worth the pain... trust me.  This is 206 stitches ready to go...

Untitled

I even knit the circular swatch as suggested, just to be sure my gauge will be spot on.  And, thankfully it looks like all signs point to "GET GOIN'".

Untitled

I won't give it away on what the pattern is yet... all will be revealed in time, but I must admit I'm excited to get into this one.  This will be the first time I do steeks and well... there's going to be wine when it comes time to take the scissors to it!  (YES!  SCISSORS... TO CUT INTO YOUR KNITTING ON PURPOSE.... I practically faint at the thought.)

I also manged to do another charity blanket that was calling for "this and that" in the stash.  I think (hope) this will be the last of those blankets that show up for awhile.  I've knit a TONNE of them this summer and I need to get back to focusing on what I want to knit and accomplish.

Untitled

Looking ahead to the fall I want to make up the sweater, another pair of mittens and two hat and bootie sets for expectant moms in Parker's preschool class.  This should be an interesting place to visit while I try and crank those out!  I hate to see summer go, but I must admit, as a knitter, a little part of me LOVES fall knitting.

No comments: