It has been since I last bought yarn!

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Last Time for 2013

As promised, I wanted to get just one more blog post in before the new year, and I'm really cutting it down to the wire!  We'll talk about what I want to accomplish in the new year and how I did stash wise in 2014... but since this is the last day for 2013, I need to tie up one final loose end.

Yeah... I finished the blanket.  I'm going into 2014 without any projects that need to be finished.  I'm pretty proud of myself!


Pattern: 3-D Argyle Blanket by Regina Fulton
Yarn: Cascade Yarns Ultra Pima in "Sky Blue"
Needle: US 6 (doh!  I didn't write down the crochet hook size!)
Notes: Great pattern.  This knit quickly and rather painlessly.  Even the crochet was really easy.  (I know!  Crochet and I have made our peace with one another I think.) The only thing I did was create a smaller crochet border around the whole thing.  I had every intention of crocheting the full border, but I found the edges ruffling and it took away from the simple elegance of the blanket, and so, I ripped it back and stuck to a simple finish.

   

I'm glad I took the time to find a yarn with lots of sheen.  Sadly the light hasn't been great for picture taking so you don't really see it here, but the pattern has subtle differences that you wouldn't catch unless you had a yarn that had a bit of shininess to it.

Overall I'm very happy with this pattern and am very pleased that I finished before baby decided to make it's appearance.  Tomorrow is this little guy's due date- so for now I bask in knowing that I'm ready for it!

Also, just because I had the time to actually do it- I've gotten a jump start on 2014 hats.  Normally I'm not the biggest fan of acrylic, but I'm actually quite liking how this baby yarn knits up.  Who knows, if I'm not completely sick of the colorway by the end of the year, I might attempt a nice and easy baby blanket for someone who needs to keep it really simple on the washing instructions.

 

And before I forget, I need to recap the Christmas "haul" and Boxing day shopping, MiL and my yearly attempt at boxing day shopping.


Christmas this year was lighter (but I'm just as greatful) on knitted items.  The Mostly Mittens is really there to continue to feed my obsessive mitten habit I seem to develop and the Pudding gift cards are always, ALWAYS appreciated.

The bigger (and not pictured) item from husband was a suggestion that we go, as a family, to Seattle so that I may attend Vogue Knitting Live (while he and my toddler explore the fun things to do in Seattle).  I. am. pumped.  I am pumped because I've always wanted to go to Seattle (I hear they have great yarn shops!)  I am pumped because I miss interacting with knitters and taking fun courses.  (So many to choose from!)  I am pumped because I'm going to meet Reebecki Supergirl who I've gotten to know through Twitter because she has a little girl 2 weeks younger than my little guy.  (Plus- a super cute newborn!)  There are so many reasons to be excited about this and I'm touched that my husband recognizes that knitting is an important part of my life and wants me to get to interact with that side of myself.

As if all of these gifts weren't enough, I also got to do my annual boxing day sale shopping with Mother in Law again this year.  (Last year we skipped due to a funeral, and I missed it!)  We had decided that we'd definately "hit" Pudding yarn this year and also stop to check out the further deals at Make 1 Yarn Studio.  (They're moving and don't want to pack)  At the last minute we panicked and also added The Loop and Gina Brown's to the list.  (What if there was a super deal and we missed it!  GAH!?  Cannot take the risk!)

We're remarkably more restrained that we've been in years past... I had a list of things I wanted to purchase, knowing that the first part of this year is going to be dedicated to baby blanket making again. 

 

I walked away with Diamond Luxury collections Supermerino Superwash, which will hopefully be cast on very soon as Umaro.  I also picked up two colors of Cascade 220 Sport to make some Dr. Who mittens for a friend.  I've been looking at my stash, (in preparation for a big stash update post), and I really need to whittle down what's in the sock yarn and wool parts of the stash in 2014.

So that should catch you up and tie up 2013 in a nice, neat little bow.  Happy New Year everyone!  Thanks for coming here to read what I have to say and being so supportive to vote on my little knitting polls!  2013 was an okay year, but I'm looking forward to bigger and better things in 2014.  Stay safe out there tonight!

2 comments:

Rebecca Mongrain said...

I am super excited a out renting you in person!

Rycrafty said...

You must go to Churchmouse Yarns & Tea on Bainbridge island! There's a bakery and an ice cream store right next to it, so the boys could amuse themselves. :) Plus, fun short ferry ride!