It has been since I last bought yarn!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What's This Summer You're All Talking About?

Here’s a secret confession I’m only going to admit to you, my closest of knitting friends.

I kind of miss fall.

I say this for a few reasons:

1) The weather has been so spectacularly dour this summer that we can’t call it “summer”. Calling this weather “summer” is an insult to summer weather everywhere. I am now accepting suggestions for a name for this crappy season we experience between May and September, formerly known as "summer" that expresses how it feels to know it will rain every day and the lack warm sun in the sky. (Is this our “Vancouver season”?)

2) There seems to be a lot of plans this “summer” that involve my being away from my knitting, which has, as you’ve probably noticed, slowed the parade of finished objects being displayed here, not to mention blog posting frequency. The mere fact that I have so many things that I want to be knitting but cannot seem to be getting at is making me twitchy. If the weather was cold and “icky” (more so than now), we’d be staying in a lot more and I’d be knitting and finishing stuff.

This is not to say that there hasn’t been progress... or procurement, it’s just been less than I wanted.

Firstly- the Toe Up experiment is complete.

IMG_7373

Pattern: Wendy’s Short Row Toe & Heel Basic Socks
Yarn: S.R. Kertzer On Your Toes Bamboo in 184 (pink, yellow, white)
Needles: US 1
Thoughts: Toe up was considerably less hard than I had believed it to be. Will it be the primary way I knit socks? Probably not. But I’m not NOT going to knit a sock now because it’s constructed toe up. I will tackle it with good faith and crossed fingers.

Perhaps it’s because it’s my novice try, but I am not happy with the short-row heel turn and connection to the rest of the sock. **warning, this photo contains imperfect knitting and sensitive knitters may want to look away**

IMG_7384

Ugh. That’s all I have to say about that.

Other than that I’ve got some other socks that haven’t seen much progress and the Goodale cardigan that looks about the same since the last time you saw it so no sense in re-posting photos.

Sadly these are still not very likely to see much progress as there’s now a pressing project on the horizon. Miss Melly had a baby. (And WHAT a baby… that little guy made his appearance in the 10 pound category!) I’ve got plans for Miss Melly- but since she reads this blog- updates on that particular project are going to be scarce or rather cryptic looking. (Although my excitement for this project is quite high- so who knows… I may just throw caution to the wind, do the big reveal and then make Miss Melly monitor my completion.)

Here’s the teaser.

IMG_7370

Peaked your interest didn’t I?

I can’t say anymore- but I will tell you that I’m stopping this post now to cast on. Can’t wait!

No comments: