It has been since I last bought yarn!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Inexplicable Knitting - Take Your Sock to Work Day

Last year I had the distinct pleasure of attending the Yarn Harlot's "Represent" event out in NYC. We "freaked out the muggles" everywhere- knitting all over the city showing folks we were proud of our skills. This year, with her new book out she'd planned another great way to freak the non-knitters out, a photo scavenger hunt with socks in progress accross Toronto.

Well, sadly, I'm not going to be in Toronto until next week, (although I'm not sad to be in Toronto when I am!), and will miss out on all the fun. Determined to do a little inexplicable knitting in my own neck of the country, I decided instead of a scavenger hunt, I'd have a special "take your sock to work" day. (Technically I take my sock everyday and knit over the lunch hour... but this time I thought I'd show the sock the rest of my office.)

I am now officially the "weirdest person in my office" - and I'm damn proud.

Brought the sock into the front entrance and showed it the fountain wall: (It may have gotten a touch wet... oops!)


While I was up at our main reception desk, I also introduced it to our office fish Brody. Now Brody is requesting a sweater...


After enough main lobby shenanigans I took it to my office and gave it a little run down about what I do everyday at my desk. (We may have checked on the Harlot flickr page like 9 zillion times today.) {Click the link to see other inexplicable knitting going on...}


After getting a feel of what I do, I decided that it needed to join the annual 9:00 am coffee sojurn, down to Second Cup. (It ordered a skinng mochaccino.)


After coffee the sock sat down with our HR department to get an orientation to the office. (The sock was very impressed and is thinking about applying for upper managment .)*


Before we knew it, lunch time rolled around and the sock joined us for our weekly Vietnamese.


After re-fueling for the day, the sock got a run down on the natural gas/crude spreads as well as fx trading. (The sock is a lot smarter than me and seemed to understand it, my eyes just glazed over and I went to my happy place... which for the record is swimming pool full of Koigu (*slobber*) that I can sink into.)

With all that number crunching, and learning about natural gas prices, the sock needed another coffee break and headed back to the lunch room for a brain break.


The sock had a big day- and even though it would have liked to have meet my boss, (I'm the assistant to the President who happens to be in Toronto on business {oh the cruel ironies}), it understands that it'll just have to come out and play next time.

All in all, I'm my co-workers maybe didn't see any inexplicable actual knitting, (they've seen me on various lunch breaks working on the recently finished Anna Socks), they did see a lot of inexplicable pictures of a sock in progress throughout the office. Either way I'm pretty certain they were scratching their heads.

*Thanks to Deanne in HR for being such a great sport!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. It was great to get more than just a snapshot or two.
(There's an error in your URL on YH's flicker page - which is no doubt why I am able to leave the first comment.)

Looks like your sock really enjoyed himself. And you have redefined "inexplicable" to your fellow workers!
Janey
janeyknitting@yahoo.ca
Until you got to all those numbers I was going to ask if there were any job openings!

Anonymous said...

What a great day at the office! Now where will you get the waterproof yarn for Brody's sweater??

I found your site thru your comment on the Yarn Harlot's blog and am glad I checked it out.

Hope tomorrow at work is as much fun for both you and the sock.